Monday, March 19, 2018

Photography journal post and updates

Bonjour,

I have been gone for a while, but I want to let you know I am still here. I am finishing up my Bachelor's degree, still sewing, and taking up some new hobbies too. I will touch on all of those. I have moved my sewing post to a LiveJournal so you can find more at https://jessiharm.livejournal.com/

So, on my LiveJournal, I mention that I got really sick around Thanksgiving and spent time in the ER, and then was fired from a job for going over my "allowed time for the year". I was under a year so I didn't have all the time off that they gave to the employees once they reach the full year. So I have been unemployed since then. I have been focusing on school, sewing, and further developing my photography.

This is a good way to segway to my new hobbies. So I have been learning French for about a year, not groundbreaking, but since I have been doing 18th-century sewing, I learned I prefer the French fashion and architecture for this time period, then I developed an interest in the food, and ultimately would like to make an outfit and take a trip to the big carnival in France one of these years.

Lastly, I am doing some photography. I used to dabble in high school with my parents nicer point-and-shoot, then years later around 22, I played with a cheap Canon camera my friend got from Fingerhut... I suggest you never buy from them, way overpriced... and I didn't know how to use the manual settings, so I played in the auto. I never took good photos but I was always told I know how to frame the shot I just needed to learn to use the camera.

However, fast forward to now, I am 29, almost 30, and I wanted to get a nice camera for some of my side projects. I needed to get a camera that took larger images of a higher quality for some photoshoot compositing, finished sewing projects, and things I would like to sell. I also love portrait photography and creative photography, so I decided to invest in a nice camera.

I got a used Nikon 7100 that came with an 18-140mm. I have been getting a lot of use out of it. When I made the decision to buy the camera I started doing lots of research to learn how to use a DSLR camera, how to shoot manual, composition, and so on. I watched Phlearns Pro Tutorial on Photography 101 which is 14 hours long that covers EVERYTHING you need to know. So now I just need to apply that I have learned. I did my first photoshoot with my little brother for his business which went really well and already booked an engagement shoot. I will post a separate blog on that.

Lastly, I am going to be launching a youtube channel with various content, so that will be up soon.

That's my update, for now. More to come soon.

Jessi Harm

No comments:

Post a Comment